Monday, January 20, 2014

Instagram Cross Processing Effect In Photoshop - How To

rustic lake cabin

rustic lake cabin


Instagram effects make photography even more fun but I don't have a smart phone so I have to do it myself. I feel like such a Luddite.

Wegraraphics has a nice tutorial where they played with Curves and Masks. Here's my notes and even though I followed their directions, I didn't include the border directions since I have another method that I prefer. There's almost always another way to do things in Photoshop.and unless I like a new way better, I stick with what I know. BTW, yes, that is a satellite dish on top of the roof.

My Notes:

Place the photo in Photoshop. Crop it square.

Curves Adjustment Layer. RGB a shallow curve down. Red, a shallow backwards S Curve. Green, a shallow S Curve. Blue, a shallow backwards S Curve.

Vignette:
Curves Adjustment Layer. On the adjustment layer's mask use a soft black brush to paint a circle in the center of the image.
Adjust the RGB to a shallow curve down.

Blurred edges:
Duplicate the original photo.
Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur to blur the details.
On the layer's mask use a soft black brush to paint the areas you want in focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment