Friday, January 24, 2014

Carving A Rubber Stamp From An Eraser - How To

I'm waiting for the book Making an Impression: Designing & Creating Artful Stamps
to come in at the library, the problem is, I want to try it today. I'm not going to let a small thing like finding out how to do it get in my way.

This turned out to be more challenging then I thought. First I had to find my Linoleum block cutters; they were hidden in vintage metal metal picnic basket labeled Printing. Then I needed to track down a new eraser. My daughter helped me find it in a clear glass jar labeled Erasers; she's still chuckling over that. I didn't ask help locating my ink pad which was fortunate since I eventually found it in a box labeled Stamps. Perhaps I should have cleaned my studio but I decided it wasn't necessary since everything is labeled.

Erasers are remarkably easy to cut, this is code "for don't press your tools down hard since the lines get thicker than you planed." I think starting with an eraser wider than your thumb might also be a good idea.

Next time I'm going to actually draw the design before cutting. I thought, it's only an acorn, they aren't tough to draw. Lines are your friend.

I did an inking to see how things were going and sliced off part of the excess with a razor blade. The final stamp turned out pretty cute and I didn't cut myself, I'm calling it a win.

carving an acorn stamp from a white eraser

inked acorn stamp

inked acorn stamp

No comments:

Post a Comment