Sunday, January 5, 2014

Graduated Stippled Grain Effect In Illustrator - How To

Grain Effect In Illustrator - How To
Grain texture is another option that I seldom use in Illustrator. If I need a grain texture I go to Photoshop but there is a very nice tutorial from Cheryl Graham, Vector Tuts+, on how to do it easily in Illustrator.

I was curious how to change the splatter color and my notes follow.

Grain Effect In Illustrator - How To
Grain Texture on Text: (black and gray example)

Type text
Type > Create Outlines

Make a copy

Do a gradient fill, white to black.

Effect > Texture > Grain. Intensity 58, Contrast 30, Grain type Stippled

Another setting for a grain texture is Effect > Texture > Grain. Intensity 74 (you can experiment with this number to get the grain you desire), Contrast 50, Grain Type to Sprinkles.

Place the textured object on the original object.
Transparency Panel > Blend Mode Multiply

Changing the grain color to something other than black: (blue and white example)

Type text
Type > Create Outlines

Make a copy

Do a gradient fill, white to black. (I reversed the gradient direction from the original black and grey version)

Effect > Texture > Grain. Intensity 58, Contrast 30, Grain type Stippled

Object > Expand Appearance

Object > Live Trace > Make
Open the Tracing Options Dialog Box - The settings I used are in the above screen shot.
Expand.

Recolor the grain to whatever color you choose. I used white since I was inspired by the falling snow.
Place the textured object on the original object.

No comments:

Post a Comment